There is a prevailing meme that exists in conservative circles today. You can hear it on talk radio, Fox news, and blogs on the internet. The subject comes up in conversations as well. The meme basically asserts that this election is dire. That if Donald Trump doesn’t win the presidency, Hillary Clinton will appoint up to 5 Supreme Court Justices, and, among other actions she will take, this will result in us “losing our country”. Although I agree that a Hillary Clinton presidency would do harm to our constitutional republic, we are already past the point of no return. A Trump presidency might look different, but in the end, either way we will end up looking like a much different nation than we were say, 15 years ago.
When did our country reach the point in which there was no turning back? Historians can see several points in time where the argument could be made that we lost the idea, as De Tocqueville put it, “America is great because America is good.” Maybe you have a different concept when we, as a country, drove off the proverbial cliff. Here are mine.
- The takeover allowed colleges and seminary’s by liberal thinking. Mainly during the early 20th century, these institutions surrendered an orthodox Christian worldview to professors and administrators with a humanistic, and postmodern one. Doctrines such as the Trinity, Biblical inerrancy, Salvation by Grace Alone, the Deity of Christ, disappeared one by one. They were replaced with Higher Criticism (Biblical Errancy) and Relativism.
- These transformed schools, in turn, produced clergy and staff for the mainline Christian denominations. By the end of the 20th century, these denominations, (with a couple of exceptions) changed to the point where they are unrecognizable to what they were when they were founded. The graduates of the schools slowly but steadily eroded what the Church stood for. And the supposed “watchmen on the walls” let them do it.
- As a result of this upheaval, when prayer was taken out of our public schools in 1962, the tactical spiritual warfare involving kids shifted in favor of darker powers. The complexion of these k-12 schools changed drastically. And the church did very little. Instead of learning reading writing and arithmetic, new generations learned cultural relativism and “everyone gets an award”. Kids were and are taught conformity instead of critical thinking. Parents, for the most part, are quietly acquiescing.
- In 1973, Roe Vs Wade was passed, and close to 60 million babies have been sacrificed to the alter of convenience and personal freedom for the mother. The results of this law has led to many consequences, none of which have been beneficial to anyone except the abortionists.
- In 2008 we elected a president unlike any other in our history. Brought up and indoctrinated by Communists, raised with a hatred for American Traditions, and disdain for our allies. It was obvious for anyone to see what he meant when he said he wanted to “transform America”. He has been wildly successful. As I write this, our health care system is about to collapse, with all but a few exchanges closed down, and little choice for Americans as to their health care. Our military has been severely weakened by allowing radical command and personnel changes. We are in endless conflicts killing thousands of civilians all over the globe. Our national debt has tripled to over 17 trillion dollars. There are 94 million out of work adults in a country of roughly 300 million. Our congress and courts are allowing free reign to the rich and powerful to commit crimes with impunity. Anyone just voicing disagreement with the status quo finds their tax returns audited and their businesses harassed. The racial divide that has always existed in our country is stronger and more unsolvable than at any time in history. The church is still weakly voicing concern.
No my friends, we won’t lose our country due to this election. We have already lost it. The Constitution no longer exists. There are no Bill of Rights. The postmodernists that so well destroyed our churches and schools have completed the takeover of our courts. The people in charge of our institutions to guard against this takeover have been co-opted. We ourselves have succumbed to modern culture where the politician who promises us the most in worldly pleasure wins the most elections. The only question we have to ask ourselves is, when does our car that ran over the cliff crash into the ground?